Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Hoping for a Better Place

In light of recent publicized events and the all-too-many verbal fights I have gotten myself into, I'm writing my daughter a letter (in my journal to her) and sharing it below.  As a high school teacher on "the rez", I have lost far too many students and have had too many kids attempt suicide, cut themselves, abuse drugs and alcohol, and force themselves into lives of internal hatred and disgust simply because they are terrified to show their true selves.  As a nation, we are leaps and bounds from where we were just 60 years ago.  In such a short amount of time, we have accomplished a great deal.  However, the stupid things that continue to occur every single day (and that is exactly what they are, STUPID) are just mind boggling.  Shouldn't we be past this?

My mother reminded me of this fabulous Shel Silverstein poem the other day:

No Difference
Small as a peanut,
Big as a giant,
We're all the same size
When we turn off the light.
Rich as a sultan,
Poor as a mite,
We're all worth the same
When we turn off the light.
Red, black or orange,
Yellow or white,
We all look the same
When we turn off the light.
So maybe the way
To make everything right
Is for God to reach out
And turn off the light!

I realize that my utopian society, where everyone is loved and respected for who they truly are, will never exist, but I hope for my daughter....

Emma,
I hope and pray that you will grow up to be a healthy, unique, strong woman.
I hope you realize the world is at your fingertips and it is yours to do with what you will.
I hope you understand that everyone is different and similar at the same time.
I hope you treat every single person you meet with respect and love.
I hope you discover your talents and run with them.
I hope that no matter what, you are proud of who you are.
I hope you feel confident being your true self.
I hope you find your voice and never let it be silenced.
I hope you know God created you with a purpose.
I hope you love yourself as much as I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment