Pages

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sing to Your Baby

Sing, play music, speak in soothing tones, whatever it is you prefer to do... do it.  I love music.  I love singing, playing, listening... everything related to music, I love it.  As I want my child to love music as well, I started singing to her and having her listen to a variety of songs and genres while she was in my belly.

Now, we spend time each day singing and dancing to my favorite tunes.  When I'm in the shower, I sing "Amazing Graze" to her as she patiently waits in her bouncer.  When I'm cooking in the kitchen, we jam out to Brandi Carlile and the Avett Brothers.

I can honestly say Emma is so happy when I'm singing to her.  Her eyes light up, a huge smile stretches across her ridiculously chubby face, and she tries to laugh.  That little half laugh that sounds like a cough?  That's what she does.

Lately, her favorite song seems to be "The Only Exception" by Paramore.  She gets so excited when I sing the chorus.  It's probably because of the repetitive sounds and tones, but I like to think she knows the lyrics are meant for her.  : )

Everyone knows music is believed to help stimulate the baby's brain and emotional development, but if you would like to see the research for yourself, I've listed a few sites below that I have found helpful.

Baby Center:  Music and Your Baby
EduGuide
Education Oasis

No comments:

Post a Comment