Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Baby's Intuition?

As mothers, we seem to have the whole "mother's intuition" thing down pretty well.  We know what each cry means or what each facial expressional represents.  I wake at the same times every night because I know my baby is about to cry out for me.  Before my daughter was born, I wondered if I would simply grasp these mom skills overnight.  In the past months, I've had time to reflect on the bond I have with this little girl.  I know her inside and out.  Today, however, I swear our roles were slightly reversed, and it made me think....

Do our little ones have baby's intuition???

I gave Emma a bath this morning.  I hate doing this when my husband isn't home because it's a little difficult for me to get her up and out of the bathtub.  We manage; it's just easier if he can pick her up for me.  Alas, she needed a bath.  :-)  She splashed and kicked the water all over me (as usual), and I got her out, dried, and dressed just fine.  She was happy.  As we walked through the kitchen, our dog (Bad, Bad Leroy Brown) told me he wanted a treat.  Yes, he really does tell me when he wants a treat.  With Emma in my right arm, I bent down to pull out a few Milkbones from the cabinet and somehow pulled a muscle in my left shoulder.  It hurt.  BAD.  It still does, but this morning just flat out sucked.  I could hardly move.  To top it off, someone decided to turn on a blender in my stomach.  I felt terrible.

I swear Emma knew what I needed.  It's as if she looked at me and said, "It's OK, Mommy.  Let's just take a nap."  I managed to maneuver us into a somewhat comfortable position on the couch, and we fell asleep.  Her naps during the day usually last 5-20 minutes each.  Today, she slept for almost 2 hours.  This means, I got to sleep too.  I needed it.  I really did feel better.

I think she knew I wasn't feeling well and wanted to make things easier for me.  :-)  Baby's Intuition?  Maybe.

I love this little girl.

2 comments:

  1. I truly believe babies know what's going on with you sometimes and adjust their behavior accordingly if needed:) I don't have a lot of feedback to give you obviously at this point in my life, but I'm mentally stowing a lot of what you write away in my mind. Being a mom sounds like the toughest most wonderful job in the world. I'm learning a lot so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely beleive baby's know... your daughter is beautiful! Following from Think Green Hop Along.
    ~Melissa
    http://www.mnmrheinlander.blogspot.com
    http://www.twitter.com/MSRheinlander

    ReplyDelete