Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Make Your Own Crinkly Baby Toys

I should wait until I've made a cute toy so that I can post a picture on here, but I want to share this.  Babies love soft toys that crinkle when grasped in their tiny fingers.  Here is an easy way to make your own crinkly toys and not spend a dime.  :-)

Materials Needed:
Fabric
Plastic grocery bags
Scissors
Needle and Thread or Sewing Machine

Directions:

  1. Gather some spare fabric, scraps of old clothing, OR newborn onesies and baby clothes that no longer fit.  I used a bright pink, newborn onesie that was too small for my daughter even when she was a newborn.  You can use any fabric, but try to find colorful pieces.  
  2. Make sure the fabric is clean.
  3. Cut whatever shape you want, turn it inside out, and sew all but a gap wide enough for a finger to fit through.  Make sure your sewing is durable and will withstand the constant grabbing of a baby's hands.  For my sample, I turned the newborn sized onesie inside out, sewed the arm and leg holes closed and left the bottom area (with the snaps) open.
  4. Pull the inside of the fabric through the hole so that the outside is showing (as you would with a sewed pillow case, for example).
  5. Stuff a plastic bag or 2 through the remaining hole.
  6. Finish by sewing the hole closed (securely).  

Obviously, you want ALL of your stitches to be tight and close to prevent the bags from being pulled out.  You can jazz up your toy by adding personal touches.  Try sewing pieces of wide ribbon in the seems or adding additional textures for the baby to touch.  You could also embroider the child's name if you want to get really crafty.  The possibilities are endless.  This is an easy way to make a few toys for your baby if you're on a budget.   You could even create really cute toys for personalized baby gifts.  :-)

3 comments:

  1. Plus, you'll keep those plastic bags out of landfills! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, you lost me a sewing machine. Those things intimidate me. LOL! But I am good at using a needle and thread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha, I don't use a sewing machine either. I just say sewing machine for those people out there who are WAY craftier than me. :-)

    ReplyDelete